Most business owners and prominent bloggers want their websites to be hosted with a trusted hosting company. And the majority of such hosting companies offer their services and support at a hefty price. But what if I tell you that you can get the same level of service at a much lower price without having to compromise with speed and performance?
It may sound too good to be true, but Contabo is a highly efficient hosting company that manages to provide Virtual Private Servers (VPS) and Dedicated Servers to its clients at unbelievably affordable prices.
So, what exactly is Contabo? What sets it apart from other hosting companies, and what it does differently? You will get all your questions answered in this in-depth, first-hand Contabo review.
So, fasten your seatbelt and get aboard to explore the details of the hosting solutions from Contabo.
What Is Contabo?
Contabo started functioning back in the year 2003 in the city of Munich, in southern Germany. The key person behind the foundation of Contabo is Thomas Noglik.
Contabo has been in the hosting industry for more than17 years and powers more than 100,000 customers in 180 countries. With 100+ team members, it manages to provide excellent assistance and support to all its clients.
Contabo has received many honorary awards like “CHIP Hotline Test 2020: Winner in the category “Waiting Time,” “CHIP Hotline Test 2019: 2nd Place for Contabo”, and many more.
Keep scrolling down to know more about Contabo.
Contabo Review Summary
|Global Avg. Response Time||813 ms|
|PageSpeed Insights||93 Mobile/91 Desktop|
|Geek Bench Single-Core||790|
|Geek Bench Multi-Core||2715|
My Contabo Performance Test Results
Contabo promises unbelievable features at an unbeatable price. So to verify the truth of its marketing claims, I subscribed to the VPS S SSD plan and hosted a WordPress demo website. Here is a screenshot from my Contabo dashboard.
After that, I created a 1000 words long article with two images of 140 KB each. Once everything was set up, I performed the following tests to understand the quality of the server.
1. Geekbench 5 Result:
Geekbench 5 is a popular cross-platform benchmarking tool for computers. The scores are calibrated against the performance of the Intel Core i3-8100 unit. The performance score of that processing unit is 1000. A higher score means better performance. Below, I’m sharing the Geekbench performance screenshot of the VPS S SSD plan.
You can see that the Single-core score was 790, and the Multi-core score was 2715. At a glance, these numbers are meaningless unless we compare them with some other brands. So, I’m presenting a comparison chart with some other popular brands.
|Vultr HF||1179||1171||$ 6.00/month|
|DigitalOcean HF||591||978||$ 18.00/month|
It is clear that Contabo outperformed most other brands by a significant margin. Moreover, the Multi-Core performance is far better than others. Full report is available here for your convenience.
2. Google PageSpeed Insights Result:
Google PageSpeed Insights provides valuable information regarding a web page and suggests possible improvements. Here is the result screenshot corresponding to the mobile page.
The overall performance score was 93/100, which is outstanding as I didn’t perform any optimization tweaks. However, the Speed Index didn’t perform well.
3. GTmetrix Result:
GTmetrix is another independent performance monitoring tool. A higher GTmetrix score means a better-performing website. Below is my GTmetrix report screenshot.
The overall performance was good, and Web vitals were within the recommended range.
4. CDN Performance Test Result:
A CDN performance test measures the response time of a website from different geographical locations. I have used Uptrends for this experiment.
Below, I’m sharing the five best-performing locations.
The best-performing location was New York with 150 ms, and the worst-performing location was Beijing with 4344 ms. Then I measured the average of 43 different locations, and it came out to be 813 ms.
5. Website Load Test Result:
A Load Test is the best way to measure the performance of a website under huge traffic situations. For this experiment, I have used 50 concurrent requests per second. A request is equivalent to an interaction with the website. So, 50 concurrent requests per second means 50 interactions per second.
A perfect load test response graph is a horizontal straight line. Here, the blue line is our load test response line. The Violet line corresponds to the number of interactions per second which has a peak of 48.5 requests/sec.
Apart from an initial peak at the beginning, the response line was more or less flat. This implies that the server remained stable during the test.
6. Uptime Report:
Surprisingly Contabo provides only a 95% uptime guarantee. While this doesn’t mean 72 minutes of downtime every day, the number is the lowest in the industry. To check how frequently a user may expect any server downtime, I monitored my website for almost five hundred hours.
During the whole period, I didn’t face any downtime. In case you are curious, you can monitor its status through this page.
Contabo Features: What Makes It So Special?
Contabo provides VPS hosting solutions at such affordable rates that even a small business can afford them easily. Moreover, they believe in assisting clients by providing human-to-human interactions, and that’s why they’ve ditched the conventional user support system that prompts a client to a bot-to-customer interaction.
But what really sets Contabo apart from the majority of hosting companies are their highly tailored and extremely powerful VPS, Virtual Dedicated Servers, and Dedicated Servers hosting solutions.
Here are the features of Contabo’s VPS, VDS, and Dedicated Server hosting plans:
Contabo VPS Features:
- Affordable: Contabo provides highly affordable virtual servers with a choice of operating systems and full root access.
- Quick Provisioning: Quick provisioning lets clients deploy servers within a few minutes.
- No Extra Cost For Traffic: Unlike other companies, Contabo doesn’t charge for overage usage. 32 TB of outgoing and unlimited incoming traffic are included with each VPS plan.
- Full Virtualization: Contabo VPS are virtualized on the hardware level. Hence the users get the full benefits of the hardware components used to build the server.
At Contabo, you also get access to Uptime Monitoring and additional backup space. Contabo also provides one-click Upgrades through the web interface.
Contabo Dedicated Servers Features:
- Raw Computing Power: Contabo provides uninterrupted raw computing power with its dedicated server. There is no virtualization layer, so the entire power of all hardware is available to the users.
- Custom Storage Configuration: Users get to choose the storage for each dedicated server. One can start with just one small disk and focus on its computing power or turn it into a storage behemoth by stuffing it up to 11 additional disks.
- Create Private Networks: At Contabo, one can build private networks using dedicated networking software such as switches, routers, and hardware firewalls.
- Hardware Flexibility: Contabo users can adjust the hardware configuration to match even the most demanding needs.
Other Contabo Dedicated Servers features include the ability to host Virtual Machine, no extra fees for traffic, DDoS protection, OS reinstall and reboot through the web interface.
Contabo Virtual Dedicated Servers Features:
- Dedicated CPU and RAM: VDS run in a virtual environment. However, it gets a certain amount of physical CPU cores and RAM permanently.
- 100% NVMe SSD Storage: At Contabo, VDS uses NVMe SSD, the fastest storage in the market. Moreover, 2 additional disks can be added to further extend the storage amount.
- Quick Provisioning: Contabo VDS is the quickest way to get powerful computing.
- Hyper-threading Included: At Contabo, users can utilize the advantages of Hyper-threading technology or simultaneous multithreading with every VDS at no extra cost.
Other Salient Features:
Data Centres: Contabo has a total of 8 data centers at three different international locations (Three in the USA, Four in Germany, and One in Singapore). This ensures the availability of a server location near to you.
Customer Support: Their Germany-based customer support team ensures prompt and technical assistance to all the clients whenever needed. Customer support is available in two languages viz. English and German.
Server Maintenance: They provide a redundant power supply to keep your server up and running. Data Centers are equipped with chillers and climate cabinets. Moreover, each Data Center is equipped with CCTV and a physical access control system.
Problem Redressal System: It takes an average of 2 hours or less to get a response and full solution to the request by a user. As much as 70% of the cases are resolved with the first support reply.
Free SSL Certificates: SSL certificates are provided in every service. Moreover, you can install the Let’sEncrypt SSL certificate for free.
Additional IPs: Additional IPs are available on request.
Ample Backup Storage: You will never have to worry about your backup storage, as Contabo provides you with additional backup storage whenever you need it.
Contabo Pros And Cons
Besides all of the features, disadvantages need to be noticed. Therefore, here is a comparison of the pros and cons.
- Services available at a very affordable price
- Contabo claims to offer multiple firewalls to keep the servers safe and secure
- 5 data centers all over the world
- Customer support is very knowledgeable and experienced, and therefore there are no delays in response.
- Free SSL certificate and Domain registration
- Users get to choose their operating system and control panels.
- No option for live chat; therefore, it sometimes becomes inconvenient to report issues.
- Users need to pay extra for some basic services that are provided for free by other hosting providers, such as automatic backups.
- Contabo claims a 95% uptime guarantee that is much lower than what other hosting providers offer.
- Does not have a money-back policy.
- There is no 24*7 customer support.
Contabo is an excellent option for those who do not want to invest a high amount of money in high-end hosting services. It provides amazing features at affordable prices.
I will discuss the pricing of three main servers provided by Contabo, that is, VPS, VDS, and Dedicated Servers. Here are the costs involved with each kind of hosting:
Contabo VPS Pricing
|Plan||VPS (S) SSD||VPS (M) SSD||VPS (L) SSD||VPS (XL) SSD|
|Core||4 VCPU||6 VCPU||8 VCPU||10 VCPU|
|RAM||8 GB||16 GB||30 GB||60 GB|
|SSD||200 GB||400 GB||800 GB||1.6 TB|
|Traffic||32 TB (Unlimited incoming traffic)||32 TB (Unlimited incoming traffic||32 TB (Unlimited incoming traffic||32 TB (Unlimited incoming traffic|
Contabo VDS Pricing
|Plan||VDS (S)||VDS (M)||VDS (L)||VDS ( XL)|
|Core||3 AMD EPYC 7282 2.8 GHz||4AMD EPYC 7282 2.8 GHz||6AMD EPYC 7282 2.8 GHz||8AMD EPYC 7282 2.8 GHz|
|RAM||24 GB||32 GB||48 GB||64 GB|
|SSD||180 GB||240 GB||360 GB||480 GB|
|Traffic||32 TB||32TB||32 TB||32 TB|
Contabo Dedicated Server Pricing
|Plan||INTEL 10-CORE||INTEL DUAL 10-CORE||AMD EPYC 16 CORES||AMD EPYC 32 CORES|
|Core||Intel Xeon E5 2630v410 x 2.20 GHz||2 x Intel Xeon E5 2630v42 x 10 x 2.20 GHz||AMD EPYC 728216 x 2.80 GHz||2 x AMD EPYC 72822 x 16 x 2.80 GHz|
|Gbit/s port||1 Gbit/s Port||1 Gbit/s Port||1 Gbit/s Port||1 Gbit/s Port|
|Traffic||32 TB||32 TB||32 TB||32 TB|
|REG EEC||256 GB REG ECC||256 GB REG ECC||256 GB REG ECCUp to 512 GB RAM||256 GB REG ECCUp to 2 TB RAM|
Contabo Review: My Final Takeaway
Contabo is one of the best VPS and Dedicated Server hosting companies for those who don’t have enough experience and yet want to grow their business to the full extent.
Being an affordable service provider, it becomes easier for clients to scale their business with Contabo. With 5 data centers and 17+ years of business experience, this award-winning web hosting company has more than enough to provide your business with highly tailored services.
Contabo Review: My Final Rating
Ease of Use