Even if you barely have any technical knowledge, it shouldn’t be surprising that the term cloud technology rings a bell in your mind! Cloud hosting is one of the most popular hosting types whose value is expanding due to its ease of use and user-friendly functionality. If you wonder what makes cloud hosting a unique one that’s sought-after by many, it is mainly because of the cloud’s use of offsite server resources that are ready to manage any peak traffic loads incurred by the website.
What Do We Mean By Cloud Hosting?
Against the general norm of hosting our website from a single server, cloud hosting does the same using multiple interconnected servers that are situated in varied geographic locations worldwide. The website data is available across servers, and hence, even if any of the servers fail, any other server comes to your rescue, helping you keep the site up and running. The twist here is that all these servers are present in a virtual environment, thereby standing true to the name ‘cloud’ hosting.
Cloud hosting is in direct contrast with traditional hosting practices as you own a part of the cloud cluster and gain access to the numerous services offered by them. Whereas in traditional hosting, you gain access to only a dedicated space in one powerful server.
Though you don’t have to worry about accessing information from one server, cloud hosting also comes with two options of public or private cloud.
You could compare a public cloud to a shared server as many websites share the same cloud service, and hence, the cost is also low. But unlike shared hosting, where uptime and traffic-related problems exist, the public cloud doesn’t share disk space, processing power, or other such crucial elements with other accounts. Hence, you enjoy the benefits of shared hosting minus the disadvantages at a reasonable cost.
A private cloud comes into the picture when the features offered by a public cloud doesn’t satisfy your requirements. Here, the infrastructure is not shared with any website, you own complete control over the environment, and hence, higher security and control are guaranteed, but at a higher cost as well.
Beyond these is the Hyperscale cloud hosting that’s provided by the three bigwigs in cloud services which are none other than Amazon, Google, and Microsoft. These companies guarantee just more than security, scalability, and global hosting. In Hyperscale hosting, you can access and expand resources anytime as your business expands. While a Hyperscale cloud is a multi-tenant platform, you can scale resources without procuring a dedicated infrastructure, unlike private hosting that is a single-tenant platform.
Advantages of Cloud Hosting
Being a big shot in the hosting world, cloud hosting has numerous benefits to offer:
- Most cloud hosting services guarantee an uptime of 99.9% due to the interconnected servers that help each other stabilize the website’s efficiency at any point of use
- Again, as multiple servers work together to help you with the resources needed by the website, you are guaranteed better performance. The load balancing and resource pooling facilities provided by cloud hosting ensure that the right resources are provided wherever and whenever needed
- Automatic data backup ensures that you get 100% disaster recovery without losing any important data
- Migration between sites is rapid as cloud companies help you with one-click installation software setups
- Cloud hosting is adept in providing the necessary services for businesses that have rapidly changing bandwidths as you can scale up or scale down your usage as and when demands change. Such scalability and flexibility are vital assets for businesses
- In comparison to having full ownership of a physical server, cloud hosting is comparatively cheaper. In cloud hosting, you pay for the resources that you use without incurring extra expenses on unnecessary resources
- Gain access to the latest technology without spending the extra money to procure the recent software and hardware developments
- Higher security as the data centers are kept safe using scanners and security cameras
Disadvantages of Cloud Hosting
Despite cloud hosting’s benefits, there are certain key areas where this hosting type fails to meet our expectations:
- As cloud servers are accessed over the Internet, the speed of your Internet connection determines the speed of the connection to the server. A poor internet connection can ruin your website’s functioning
- Though cloud hosting is considered to be a cost-effective plan, there might be times when you incur aplenty hidden costs accumulating your total plan costing multifold times.
- Cloud hosting companies guarantee performance and efficiency assuring that your website runs smoothly, but there might be a few challenges faced sometimes that can ruin your business functioning temporarily
- Again, the possibility of downtime directly depends on the Internet connection’s speed. Any internet-related problems affect the functioning of the multiple servers, thereby leading to problems with the cloud service
- There are chances for cybercrimes (the extent of safety hazards depends on the hosting company that you choose to associate with) as everything happens over the Internet, which is never a haven despite any levels of security measures taken.
Is Cloud Hosting the Best Plan to Meet Your Needs?
To answer this question, ask yourself whether you own a website that attracts ample traffic or if your business is highly popular because cloud hosting is most suitable for those businesses and sites that receive high traffic and would like to concentrate on improving their business rather than wasting time dealing with technical issues related to web hosting. Remember, you might be a newbie, but still, you could choose cloud hosting if you feel that your website is bound to attract abundant traffic, site visits, and has ventured into the market intending to make it big in the industry.
In general, cloud hosting is the preferred hosting type for many e-commerce stores, lead generation sites, high-traffic ventures, and corporate organizations. If you plan to choose cloud hosting to launch your website, make sure that you foresee the following integral features:
- Evaluate twice whether you expect a surge in traffic, subscribers, or are planning for big promotions and make sure that your present hosting plan is incapable of promising your requirements
- Choose any hosting provider who is ready to provide service on a “no-contract” basis, otherwise getting relieved would be a very tiring task
- Be aware of all features provided by cloud hosting including that of uptime, root access promise, customer support, and more
- Ensure that the company caters to security-related features such as avoiding data infiltration, authenticating identities of those trying to access the website, establishing IT compliance controls, imposing security for devices trying to access the site, and more
- Be sure that your expenses on investing in a cloud hosting service are worthy of it. Check whether any other better affordable services can satisfy your requirements
Cloud Hosting Alternatives
Though cloud hosting uses various servers it is still a kind of shared hosting where the resource pool is used by various other websites that can lead to decreased performance. Contrarily, dedicated and VPS hosting avoid such problems by guaranteeing dedicated server resources for individual websites. Apart from this, there is not much difference between these three hosting services.
If your website attracts high traffic and if you can afford to spend, it is ideal to choose dedicated hosting, but if either (traffic or budget) are missing it is recommended to choose VPS hosting instead.
My Final Thoughts on Cloud Hosting
Cloud hosting is becoming synonymous with website users and thrives as one of the most vital hosting types in the present world. In the future, there might come a day when cloud hosting exists as the cornerstone of every industry—right from healthcare to real estate. There are multiple cloud hosting providers. Hence, we must use our discretion to select the right provider who addresses our required features and offers the best service available in the market.